I can't believe I haven't made a black bean spread before; it's as easy as hummus. Blend together in a food processor:
- half a can of cooked black beans
- smidgen of garlic-chili paste (i.e. half a teaspoon or less)
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of salt
Makes enough for 1 or 2 sandwiches.
If you want a chunky spread, skip the food processor and mash together with a fork or pestle; add the oil slowly because you may not need as much.Do you need instructions for a sandwich? Toast some bread and build the sandwich, layering the black bean spread with any or all of:
- Your fav cheese; I used goat cheese
- Greens or spinach
- Roasted red pepper
- Thinly sliced white or red onion
- Minced or plucked cilantro leaves
- Blend with goat cheese and use as a dip instead.